Read about it here. It would be a horrible idea. I am not against baseball reform, however, my ideas would be a little bit different. You want to make the World Series more like the Super Bowl? You want to settle the DH controversy? You want to purify the home run records? Here are the answers to everything in my top 10 ideas for baseball reform:
- Eliminate the DH and go to an 8-man lineup in both leagues. Who wouldn't want to see A-Rod come to bat six times a game? Then watch all the inflated records of the steroid era start to fall. Bonds home run record will be shattered in a few years. Justin Morneau will finish his career with 900 homers and he'll only be in third place. Who wouldn't like to see this?
- Stop counting errors as an official stat. You either make the play or you don't. When Barry Sanders used to fake a safety out of his socks, nobody said, "We can't give him credit for that 80-yard touchdown run because there was an error on the play." So why does that statement not sound absurd when you replace "80-yard touchdown" with "triple" and "safety" with "right-fielder"?
- Get rid of first and third base coaches. Imagine how ridiculous it would be in any other sport if there was always a coach standing on the field yelling, "Go this way! No, wait, go back! Do a belly-flop now!" Let the players make their own decisions in the heat of battle. That's why there's practice.
- If the Cubs don't stop sucking, make them tear down Wrigley and build a dome. Name it after Steve Bartman.
- Get rid of this stupid format for determining home field advantage in the World Series. What other sport would allow this kind of nonsense? Either give it to the team with the best record or play at a neutral site. And by the way, true home field advantage would mean that all seven games of the World Series are played in the same place (unless it's 1987 or 1991 - haha), but I'm getting ahead of myself.
- You want the World Series to be more like the Super Bowl? Go to a 16-game regular season and play once a week. This will allow you to start your ace pitcher every game. Then settle each round of the playoffs with one game. Play the World
SeriesGame at a neutral site. (This, of course, would eliminate the possibility of #1 from coming true, but you can't have everything.)
- Stop trying to create rivalries with this interleague format. Trying to create a rivalry is like trying to give yourself a nickname. In fact, get rid of interleague play altogether. This was the only thing that baseball had that was better than football until they blew it.
- Remember playing kickball in elementary school? Remember being able to get somebody out simply by throwing the ball at him? We should look into bringing that back.
- "Rain delay" is a phrase I don't ever want to hear again.
- The sum of the matter is this: just be more like football.