Sorry, but this phrase kind of loses its meaning when it's used every single year about every single championship in every single sport in the world.
Uh-oh, I feel another top ten list coming on.
The top ten worst cliches in sports:
10. "This game is a must-win!" -- Notice that this one never comes up in an elimination game like, say, a game 7. Game 7 is a must win. The Super Bowl is a must win. The third game of the NFL season is not (unless it's against the Packers).
9. "They're a better team than their record indicates." -- Huh?
8. "We've got the best fans in the world." -- Yeah, and so would the Lions if they had just won three Super Bowls in four years.
7. "Nobody gave us any respect." -- Respect is earned by winning. If you finish last for ten years in a row and then suddenly have a winning season don't expect everyone to treat you like the Yankees.
6. "This city has really rallied around their team." -- See number 8.
5. "There's no I in TEAM." -- No, but there is in WIN. Did you ever think of that?
4. "We've gotta stop the big play." -- Really? Is there ever a situation where you don't want to stop the big play?
3. "This team is still searching for its identity." -- Umm, maybe check the logo on your helmet?
2. "We shocked the world!" -- I'm pretty sure there's a billion people in China who don't really care.
1. "You couldn't write a better script!" -- Trust me, my script would be much better. It would include the Vikings going 16-0, crushing the Packers in the playoffs, and winning the Super Bowl 84-0 over the Raiders.